How do I talk about when things happen?
In this unit children learn the days of the week in Chinese and identify daily basic weather conditions. They ask for and respond to information about time and weather. They continue to build their recognition of Chinese characters from the unit vocabulary. They begin to explore Pinyin and writing characters.
MI: World Languages (2007)
1.1 Interpersonal Communication
Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
Interpersonal Speaking/Listening or Signed (SL)
1.1.N.SL.b Ask and answer basic questions about the weather, health/physical conditions, self, family and friends
Interperpreting Written Language-Reading
1.2.N.R.a Demonstrate understanding of written classroom language in the target language including directions, commands, and requests
1.3 Presentational Communication
Students present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
Presentational Language -Speaking (S) or Signed (SL)
1.3.N.S.b Present brief personal descriptions on familiar topics in target language such as self, friends, family, home, and school
5.2 Personal Enrichment
Students show evidence of becoming life-long learners by using the language for personal enjoyment and enrichment.
5.2.N.a Willingly use the target language within the classroom setting
Copyright © 2001-2015 State of Michigan
1. How do I talk about weather and time?
2. How do I describe weather over time?
3. How is time expressed?
1. Identify and describe weather conditions:
lěng/ rè/ qíng tiān/ duō yún/ bù lěng bú rè/ yǒu( guā fēng)/ xià yǔ/ xià xuě/ dǎ léi
2. Describe time using míng tiān, zuó tiān, zhōu/ xīng qī, zhōu mò, xīng qī liù, xīng qī tiān/rì 明天，昨天，周／星期，周末，星期六，星期天／日.
3. Review days of the week:
xīng qī yī, xīng qī èr, xīng qī sān, xīng qī sì, xīng qī wǔ
4. Request information:
- Jīn tiān/ zuó tiān/ míng tiān tiān qì zěn me yàng?今天／昨天／明天天气怎么样？
- Jīn tiān xīng qī jǐ? 今天星期几？
- Míng tiān xīng qī jǐ? 明天星期几？
- Zuó tiān xīng qī jǐ? 昨天星期几？
5. Respond to questions:
- Jīn tiān xīng qī…. 今天星期....
- Míng tiān xīng qī…. 明天星期....
- Zuó tiān xīng qī.. 昨天星期....
- Jīn tiān....(weather) 今天....（天气）
- Míng tiān….(weather) 明天....（天气）
- Zuó tiān….(weather) 昨天....（天气）
6. Identify characters:
- 今天，昨天，明天, 多
7. Introduced but not assessed:
Pinyin: e, ei, en, eng
Writing characters: 今，天，多
Sample Performance Assessments:
1. Assess students’ current level vocabulary related to this unit of study (oral language).
2. Orally identify weather conditions using pictures. (1.1.N.SL.b)
3. Describe the weather/Give a weather report for a given day. (1.3.N.S.b)
4. Label a calendar with the days of the week using a word bank in characters. (1.2 N.R.a)
5. Given the Chinese characters for today, tomorrow, yesterday, many and days of the week, students match the characters with the corresponding English script. (1.2.N.R.a)
Recommended (not required) Instructional Resources:
Weather picture flashcards
Chinese Treasure Chest, Volume 1, p 137-140, 257-258
Vocabulary flashcards with Chinese characters
Chinese Paradise, Book 3A, Lesson 2
Better Chinese, My First Chinese Words, Book 32 & 34
Chinese Paradise, Book 2A, Lesson 4