Stage 1 - Desired
2D - Students analyze
cultural interactions among diverse groups
[Consider multiple perspectives.]
Standards for United States History p 108
Students will understand that...
- The settlement of the West threatened the lifestyle and culture of Native American tribes living on the
- Who were the "winners" and
who were the "losers" of the settlement of the West?
- What happens when cultures collide?
|Students will know...
|Students will be able
Stage 2 - Assessment
- Imagine that you are an elderly tribal
member who has witnessed the settlement of the plains by the
"pioneers". Tell a story to your 8-year old granddaughter
about the impact of the settlers on your life. (May be done orally
or in writing.)
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
- Stage a simulated meeting of a council
of elders of a Native American tribe living in the plains, to have
students consider a different perspective.
- Discuss - "What should we do when
threatened with relocation - fight, flee, or agree to move (to a
reservation)? What impact would each course of action have on our