How do I talk about weather, time and special occasions?
In this unit children access prior knowledge and learn to describe the weather in greater detail over time. They request and receive information about weather conditions in their community and the target culture. Children express when things happen including year, month and date within the structure of the calendar. They also compare the similarities and differences in birthday celebrations between American and Chinese cultures. They continue to develop recognition of characters within the context of the unit vocabulary as well as explore pinyin, strokes and writing characters.
MI: World Languages (2007)
1.1 Interpersonal Communication
Students engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
Interpersonal Speaking/Listening or Signed (SL)
1.1.N.SL.b Ask and answer basic questions about the weather, health/physical conditions, self, family and friends
1.1.N.SL.i Ask for and obtain information in everyday situations in the target language about time, place, price, size, relating to restaurants, stores, transportation, and services
Interperpreting Written Language-Reading
1.2.N.R.a Demonstrate understanding of written classroom language in the target language including directions, commands, and requests
1.3 Presentational Communication
Students present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
Presentational Language -Speaking (S) or Signed (SL)
1.3.N.S.b Present brief personal descriptions on familiar topics in target language such as self, friends, family, home, and school
Understanding the artifacts associated with family and community life within the target culture(s) (F)
2.2.N.F.d Describe and explain the significance of the products associated with an important: - civil or religious holiday or celebration AND - regional holiday or celebration AND - personal or family holiday or celebration within a community or culture in which the target language is spoken
4.2 Comparing Cultures
Students demonstrate understanding of the concept of culture through comparisons of the cultures studied and their own.
4.2.N.a Identify basic target culture practices and compare them to one’s own
5.2 Personal Enrichment
Students show evidence of becoming life-long learners by using the language for personal enjoyment and enrichment.
5.2.N.a Willingly use the target language within the classroom setting
Copyright © 2001-2015 State of Michigan
1. How do I describe weather over time?
2. How is time expressed?
3. How are birthdays celebrated?
1. Review days of the week and weather conditions from 1st grade, Unit 3.
2. Identify and describe weather, months:
- yīn tiān, duō yún, cǎi hóng, shǎn diàn, liáng kuài, nuǎn huo
- yī yuè--- shí èr yuè， 一月---十二月
- rì, yuè, nián 日，月，年
- Shí èr yuè hěn lěng. 十二月很冷。
Yī yuè xià xuě, etc. 一月下雪，等等。
3. Ask for and give information about the calendar:
- Jīn tiān shì jǐ yuè jǐ rì/hào? 今天是几月几日/号？
- Jīn tiān shì ...yuè ... rì/hào. 今天是...月...日/号。
- Xiàn zài shì ...yuè. 现在是...月。
Wǔ yuè xià yǔ. 五月下雨。
Shí èr yuè xià xuě, 十二月下雪, etc.
4. Give and ask for information regarding birthday:
- shēng rì 生日
- Nǐ de shēng rì shì jǐ yuè jǐ rì/ hào? 你的生日是几月几号？
- Wǒ de shēng rì shì … yuè … rì. 我的生日是...月...日。
5. Compare and contrast birthday celebrations:
Eating noodle (cháng shòu miàn 长寿面) with family versus birthday cake with family and friends.
6. Identify Characters:
- Review characters from 1st grade, Unit 3
- 月，日， 年，一月～十二月，号
7. Introduced but not assessed:
- Pinyin: g, k, h
- Strokes: 横折 héng zhé ，横折钩 héng zhé gōu
- Writing characters: 年，月，日
Sample Performance Assessments:
1. Assess students current level vocabulary related to this unit of study (oral language).
2. Given the characters for year, month, day and January to December, students match the character with the corresponding pinyin. (1.2.N.R.a)
3. Identify weather conditions using pictures. (1.1.N.SL.b)
4. Describe the weather/Give a weather report for a given day. (1.1.N.SL.b)
5. In pairs, students ask about and respond to the current date and birthday. (1.1.N.SL.i, 1.3.N.S.b)
6. Draw a picture showing a birthday celebration in the USA and China. (2.2.N.F.d, 4.2.N.a)
Recommended (not required) Instructional Resources:
Monkey King Chinese, Book 2B, Lesson 1 & 6
Youer Hanyu, Book 4, Lesson 2
Chinese Paradise, Book 3A, Lesson 2
Chinese Paradise, Book 3B, Lesson 11
Chinese Paradise, Book 2A, Lesson 4
Easy Steps to Chinese, Book 1, Lesson 4
Better Chinese, My First Chinese Words, Book 16
Chinese Treasure Chest, Volum 1, page 225-238
World Young Learners' Chinese, Book 2, Lesson 10